Let Former Military Servicemembers Serve You
Military servicemembers needing experienced legal counsel can turn to The Firm For Men when facing any family law issue, but divorce is an especially sensitive challenge. For men in the military, divorce difficulties are compounded by postings, travel orders, commitments to training exercises and other unexpected demands. Working with a law firm that understands the rigors of military life, communicating with an attorney familiar with military procedure, a military man can rest easy, knowing The Firm For Men is handling his case. As the only family law firm in Virginia protecting men only, we have many years of experience representing the military men of Hampton Roads.
Proud to Serve Those Defending Our Country
Anyone serving in the uniformed services can turn to the knowing, trusted hands of The Firm For Men. All military and uniformed branches find able, experienced legal help here:
- Air Force
- Coast Guard
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps
- United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps
As a veteran-owned family law firm, The Firm For Men understands the unique demands of those in uniform. Your time is often not your own; your residence and domicile can change quickly. Your ability to reach us by telephone, text or e-mail can vary throughout your divorce process. We take it all in stride. We know how to work with you as we work around your professional demands.
Virginia Military Divorce
Our geographic and professional position at The Firm For Men allows us to be of service to men in service. From our offices we help military men from Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk to Hampton and Newport News and the surrounding areas:
- Coast Guard Finance Center
- Fort Monroe
- Fort Belvoir
- Fort Eustis
- Joint Expeditionary Base
- Langley Air Force Base
- Medical Center Portsmouth
- Naval Air Station Oceana
- Naval Weapons Station Yorktown
- Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek
- Naval Station Norfolk
- Naval Support Activity Hampton Roads
- Naval Support Activity Annex
- Norfolk Naval Shipyard
- Sector Hampton Roads — Coast Guard
- Training Center Yorktown
Even if your posting takes you far away from Virginia’s shores, but you call the Commonwealth your home, we are ready to help you. We are familiar with military procedures and the difficulties service men encounter in trying to communicate stateside. We can work with you to arrange court appearances, depositions, hearings and other matters around your availability.
Divorce Issues during Deployment
Few men outside the military and uniformed branches know the obstacles faced by our dedicated servicemembers. Whether you are stationed in Afghanistan, Iraq, South Korea or in the Mediterranean Sea, we can help with all divorce issues and the unique issues of military life:
- The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
- Military Code Provisions
- Military Pensions
- MPDO (Military Pension Division Order)
- Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act (USFSPA)
- 10/10 Rule
- Direct payments and Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS)
- Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP)
- Healthcare Benefits – TRICARE
- MILPERSMAN 1754-030
Though much of your military service is determined by others, you have control over your divorce, no matter where in the world, above it, or under its seas you are. We stand ready to serve you, listen to you, and take assertive actions to preserve your rights. You give of yourself to preserve our freedoms, so we at The Firm For Men are honored to help you when you need special attention in all matters related to divorce:
Military Divorce Questions
Anyone going through a divorce has questions, but with military service complicating things, you may have many more questions than the average Virginia man. We are ready to listen, to hear you, and to provide helpful information. We know you may be unsure of the process and the timeline. We can help with everything from scheduling court dates to investigating your spouse in the event of a contested divorce.
You might wonder how your military service affects all these matters:
- How will your military retirement and pension be affected by divorce?
- What happens to your life insurance?
- What if you have VA disability income?
- Are you worried your wife might take your children?
- What if your posting changes during the divorce proceedings?
- How can visitation work if you are at sea?
- Is your domicile different than your residence?
- What must be included in a property settlement agreement?
The Firm For Men has answered these and thousands of other questions over the years. We know Virginia law, and we know military regulations. We are in a far better position than the attorneys of JAG to handle your divorce.
We Defend Your Rights as a Military Man
Though the Code of Virginia and Military Code assume gender neutrality, we at The Firm For Men still do battle against gender bias in courts every day. We fight assertively to defend men’s rights in all matters related to family law:
- Prenuptial and postnuptial agreements that are fair to both sides
- Child custody — Physical and legal custody
- Child support
- Spousal support
- Equitable division of property
- Visitation agreements
- Allegations of spousal abuse or sexual violence
- Questions of paternity
Too often, men with busy military schedules sign away their rights rather than contest a legal issue. They think that somehow the simpler, faster solution is better for them. This is not the case, and our attorneys know that. We defend your rights, we fight for equal treatment, and we push hard against any attempts to force you into accepting the unacceptable. Though the law as written may not admit bias, we know it exists, and we identify it at every turn. You should expect nothing less from your military divorce lawyer.
Creative Solutions for Military Men Going Through Divorce
The military is not known for creativity. The law is similarly bound by rigid rules and expectations. Yet our law firm is noted for its creativity in solving complex divorce problems. Turn to The Firm For Men when you need creative, helpful solutions:
- Child support that recognizes your military pay cycle and pay grade
- Visitation schedules that work around your duty schedule
- Alternatives to physical visitation that still maintain a strong bond between you and your children
- Divorce orders that protect your military pension and retirement funds
- Property settlement agreements that preserve your intellectual property rights for a safe, second career after your military service
Call the Military Divorce Lawyer for Men
The able attorneys at The Firm For Men handle hundreds of divorce cases every year, many of them for our nation’s uniformed servicemembers. We are ready, willing and able to handle yours. We know the law, and we know the military. We are always faithful to you, our Marine clients, and are always prepared to help our Coast Guardsmen. The law to us is sacred; your rights are sacred; this we’ll defend in court and across the negotiation table for every U.S. Army soldier. Because of our extensive reach and long history working with sailors, we are a global force for good. We always aim high to help our Air Force flyers, and we fight to win. Contact The Firm For Men today at 757-383-9184.